Friday, April 29, 2005

Baby Blue Jay

Here is a photograph of a baby blue jay taken two years ago. He and his brothers and sisters had been fledging while DH was mowing the lawn and doing other yard work. He kept finding the babies on the ground and placing them back in the trees so they’d be safe. If you’ve ever had a good look at a baby blue jay, it’s a wonder that they ever get airborne – they are quite fat with stubby tails and disproportionately short wings. Anyway, this went on for the better part of the afternoon. The parents, although keeping a watchful eye on DH, never attacked him. But when I finally ventured forth that day, they were waiting for me. As soon as I opened the front door, an angry adult jay flew at my head and dug in his/her little talons for all he/she was worth. It was like a scene right out the “The Birds.” The adults left me alone after that, figuring I’d been given a good warning…

Baby Blue Jay

2 comments:

Linda said...

Hi Connie,

I am back into being able to read your blog - don't know if it is becasue I am on a different computer - will test the other one again in a few days.

Nice little birdie. :)

Conni said...

Hi Chloe,
Thanks for letting me know. As I mentioned in an early post, I feel, a little bit, like I’m talking to myself – not that there’s anything wrong with that…
Conni