Saturday, July 21, 2012
I made the pants from black and white ticking. The boots were made from a gorgeous piece of distressed faux leather. That stuff is a little tricky to work with. In my first attempts, the thread kept breaking. Then, I did a little research on the web and learned that you must use a heavier thread than usual on the top. All I had in brown was some old hand quilting cotton - and it worked like a charm. I also had some problems with slippage but I corrected that by smearing the tiniest amount of Yes glue inside the seam allowances before I sewed. Now, I love sewing with this fabric!
Friday, July 06, 2012
I have had a pirate Santa doll percolating in my head for quite some time (ever since the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie, actually) and decided to work on a hat for him yesterday. I adapted a pattern from a great book by milliner Denise Dreher, From the Neck Up: An Illustrated Guide to Hatmaking. This is a bicorne design from the late 1700s – and, although it looks simple, it’s actually quite a little wonder of engineering. I had a blast making this! I even made a ribbon cockade to embellish it using the directions in the book. Although it’s not perfect I love the effect. There’s a whole chapter devoted to making hat trims. All of my fashion dolls are lining up for hats…