I found some sweet white violets growing in the yard, this afternoon. So much delightful fragrance from such tiny flowers! I didn’t want to sit on the ground and draw so I carefully dug up a little clump with surrounding soil, brought it in to the studio, drew it and placed it back where I found it. The ground is still moist from yesterday’s rain so I think it should be okay… I am so glad and grateful spring has finally sprung!
Wednesday, April 30, 2008
Thursday, April 24, 2008
I used the same method (see previous post) to print these postcard backs directly to fabric. As you can see, I was able to get two prints per page. This is much easier (and the results more predictable) than transferring the image using an iron and transfer paper. Again, thanks to Allie.
I wanted to transfer a photo (that I had manipulated in PhotoShop) to fabric for lesson four of the Fertile Earth class. I had planned to print it on transferable paper, but my package of that stuff seems to have gone AWOL. So, I decided to print it directly on the fabric. Serendipitously, I came upon a great tutorial by Allie on this very topic. I didn’t have label-making paper for backing, so I fused Lite Steam-A-Seam to PFD cotton and smoothed it by hand onto 28 lb printer paper. I trimmed the edges and it printed perfectly on my old Epson printer. Since the fabric wasn’t fused to the backing paper, the paper just peeled right off. The first photo is the fabric print. The second photo is my appliquéd and stitched piece. I may add some beads to the background, although it is very sparkly, already.