Monday, April 11, 2005

Prince Charles and Camilla and Me

Well, Charles and Camilla finally tied the knot. He was supposed to marry me! Back in eighth grade (many, many years ago) we were asked to write a paper on what we wanted our futures to be. I was in, what they cruelly termed back then, the “smart” class (don’t have any idea how I ended up in there) and all of my classmates wrote of very noble and worthwhile pursuits. Some wanted to be research scientists and find the cure for cancer. Some wanted to be doctors, lawyers, politicians, etc. I wanted to go to art school in London and meet and marry Prince Charles (he was really kind of cute back then) and, unlike Wallace Simpson, become the first American Queen of England, beloved by the entire British realm! So that’s what my paper was about. I even pointed out that I had royalty in my family as my sister had been voted May Queen one year. Well, my teacher loved it! His comment on my paper was, “I wonder if the man you plan to woo and wed in England is truly worthy of you…” He thought my lighthearted approach was refreshing, especially after reading all the other serious papers …um…except I was perfectly serious!

No comments: