Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Mirror's New Corset

I sewed a doll corset from plain old muslin using a cute pattern by Gracefaerie Designs. It’s a solid little foundation piece, interfaced and lined. I had only intended to try it out for fit, but was so happy with the result that I went ahead and trimmed it with organza ribbon, lace, embroidery stitches and seed beads. Definitely need to make more of these! This one closes in the back with hooks and eyes, but the pattern also includes a variation that laces up the front.

Friday, April 15, 2011

A New Dress for Gene...

I made this dress yesterday from the very first Gene doll pattern I ever purchased a few years ago. It was designed by Gerry Broerman and inspired by a vintage Vogue pattern. Don’t know why it took me so long to get to it! It was easy to sew and fits her beautifully. The fabric I used was vintage handkerchief linen (from my mom’s old stash). The belt was made from a strip of bonded leather pulled through a doll-sized buckle. I love how it accents Gene’s tiny waist.

Sunday, April 10, 2011

April Sketchbook Challenge

The theme this month is “Branching Out" – but I seem to have only sprouted…

Below is the same sketch with the photocopy filter applied in Photoshop. It gives it kind of an old world look. I may print this on fabric for further embellishment. This could be a way to leverage plain pencil sketches and studies.

Thursday, April 07, 2011

Fun and Fast Recycling Project

In the process of weeding out my bookcases, I found a hardback book that I no longer wanted to keep. Not wanting to toss it out, entirely (well, books are sort of sacrosanct!), I decided to remove the pages and re-cover it, inspired by an article on bookmaking by Dede Warren in Somerset’s Sew magazine (Summer 2009). I followed her instructions except that I used a piece of original fabric paper for the cover (instead of scrapbook paper). I also used a single piece of heavy paper for the inside, including the spine. Using “Yes” glue and my fingers, I carefully glued my fabric paper to the outside first and then glued the inside paper to hide the raw edges. As per the instructions, I clamped the papers to the book, refolded the book back into its original position and left it to dry. A signature was made of 3 folded sheets of heavy watercolor paper and added to the book by using an awl to punch two corresponding holes through the center of the folded pages and the book’s spine and tied in with vintage seam tape.