Friday, August 12, 2005

Yesterday...

Yesterday, despite my best intentions, I probably should have just stayed in bed. I had decided I wanted to make a bag from the Threads pattern for which Kay Susan had provided a link from her blog. I had cut out two pieces of denim fabric for the front and back with the intention of creating stripes with heavy cotton thread on both panels with decorative machine stitching. I had been testing my stitches on sample fabric before sewing on the denim and everything was going well. The machine was humming along – until I decided to try a stitch with a somewhat dense design. It worked on the sample. It even worked on one panel – and then all heck broke loose! Stitches began to pile up on one another and the design became very much distorted. The machine wasn’t jamming but it was acting “confused.” I then tried the same stitch in a lightweight rayon thread and it sewed out perfectly. Note to self: Never use heavier weight threads with densely designed pre-programmed stitches. My bag will now have a plain back as it would be impossible to unpick the bad stitching. Argh!

Next, I wanted to sew some beautiful antique glass buttons down the front of a vest I designed for my latest Santa. I broke the shanks of three buttons attempting to do that and had to rummage around for more matching antique buttons with thicker shanks. Argh!

Later in the day, I thought I'd do a little drawing as the woodbine was calling to me. I set up my folding chair, got my journal and pencil and began drawing the contours of the leaves when I felt something wet on my left wrist. A bird had pooped on me! Argh!

I finally got to bed (around 1:00 a.m.), tossed and turned for quite awhile and, when I finally fell asleep, I dreamed that I’d been attacked by a rabid raccoon and had to be rushed to the hospital for shots. Argh!

Today has just got to be a better day…

No comments: