Monday, February 25, 2013

Caroline's Dress

Here’s the promised photo of the dress I made for Caroline.  I used a commercial pattern as a general guide for size, but adapted it by shortening the bodice and making it more close-fitting,  redesigning the sleeves and lowering the neckline.   The skirt is also much fuller.  The trim is made from vintage ribbon stitched to the lower edge of the skirt with invisible thread.  The hem is sewn by hand.  I made her a pair of lace-trimmed pantaloons to wear underneath.  I’m currently working on a matching bonnet.

Sunday, February 17, 2013

A Drawstring Bag for Caroline

I made a Regency era dress for my AG doll Caroline (photo later) and wanted to make her a dainty little bag to match.  This one is lined and embroidered by machine.  Although it was simple to sew, stitching the casing was a bit tricky due to the small size.  Having never made a drawstring pouch before, I searched the web and found quite a few wonderful tutorials and YouTube videos showing how to make several variations.  

Friday, February 01, 2013

Bird Nursery

was delighted to come upon this old nest nestled in the catbrier on my walk the other day.  It would have been well hidden in the thick foliage in the summer.  It's beautifully engineered with a plastic outer layer and sweetly decorated with lots of pink Easter grass.  Mom and Dad must have been expecting girls!