In an attempt to get my act together for the New Year, I joined Susan Sorrell’s 2010 Monthly Art Experiment. I am hoping to actually try some of the wonderful projects in Quilting Arts and Cloth, Paper, Scissors magazines – instead of just admiring them. As a further challenge, I’m going to attempt to limit myself to supplies I have on hand (shouldn’t be too difficult as I seem to have every art supply known to man!). The challenge is very loose since the participants may choose to try any project from a book or magazine that interests them. Last summer, I sat outside one sunny afternoon with my stack of magazines and actually wrote down the page numbers of the projects I wanted to do someday. And, of course, I have since lost the list! Well, I’m looking at it as an excuse to go through the magazines again! I am really looking forward to broadening my horizons a bit.
I tried a little experiment today that I’ve wanted to try for a couple of years, since I first saw it in Quilting Arts magazine – and it took next to no time! I used a stamp to make an impression in some fusible fiber (a type of Angelina I got on sale quite awhile ago). I wasn’t sure it would work because I only had a foam rubber stamp and I was afraid it would melt. I put the stamp on the ironing board, face up; then put some fiber down on top and covered it with a piece of parchment paper. A few seconds later, with a dry iron set on the “silk” setting, I got a nice crisp image - and the stamp is none the worse for wear!
Thursday, December 31, 2009
Thursday, December 24, 2009
DAE’s Smoking Flame Vivian is borrowing Gene Marshall’s American Countess gown. Madame Alexander’s Suzette is borrowing Gene’s Crescendo gown (with violin). This photo was taken a couple of years ago.
Tuesday, December 15, 2009
I mounted a small collection of delightful vintage carved Mother of Pearl buttons on an embellished and embroidered background I had created for the TAST challenge a couple of years ago. I think the frame (purchased in Michael’s) is evocative of a whitewashed beach cottage. I'll be adding this to my Etsy shop, soon.
Thursday, December 03, 2009
This has got to be one of the most beautiful dolls ever made. Her name is “Christmas Constance” (so I had to have her!) and she is a CED doll. She’s about 19” tall with a highly articulated body. I love the vintage box of Christmas lights that came with her.
I finally added my Santas to my Etsy shop. Here’s the latest one, finished. When I first started my doll business, I sold an original pattern for a Belsnickle dressed just like this Santa. While moving my studio upstairs, I found a box with a couple of finished crazy quilted collars that were just too nice (and represented too much work) to throw away. So I used one to dress up a Santa to sit in a sleigh.
Tuesday, December 01, 2009
Here is my Santa wreath finished. As I mentioned a few posts ago, this is an idea I’ve wanted to try for some time – and finally decided to just do it. I’m so glad I did - it was such a joy to make! Santa is wired securely to the metal back of the wreath. His legs and arms are hot-glued in place. I may have to make more of these, next year. I loved playing with the silk flowers...